< More Directories etc.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1941
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, one mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Wrekin division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, rebuilt in 1865, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria; there are five stained windows and a porch, built in 1909 as a memorial to the Rev. John B. Davies M.A. rector (1866-1906); in 1915 a stained window was inserted to the Rev. John Thomas Halke LL.B. curate in charge (1859 to 1867); there are two brass tablets, one of which records the names of those who served during the Great War, 1914-18; there are 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £325, with residence, in the gift of E. R. Davies esq. and held since 1935 by the Rev. Gerald Ellison Terrot, of Lichfield Theological College. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of Ernest James Fisk esq. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late R. E. Moore esq. and the trustees of the late Mr. E. R. Davies. Electricity is available. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; population in 1931, 161.
Post, M.O. & T. Office. Letters through Wellington, Shropshire
The Midland Omnibus Co. Ltd. run omnibuses through here to & from Wellington & to Great Bolas thurs. & sat
(For T N’s [= telephone numbers] see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Cotterill John E. The White House
Jones Jn. Oswald
Langley Miss Ellen Lucy
Moore Mrs. E. The Grange
Terrot Rev. Gerald Ellison (rector), Rectory
Early closing day, Wednesday.
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Ball Arthur, insurance agent, Great Bolas 34
Bennett Saml. Thos. boot & shoe mkr
Brookes Jn. farmer, The Beeches
Fletcher Thos. smallholder, The Harebutt
Griffiths Rt. shopkpr
Jones Jn. Howard, farmer, The Harebutts
Leech John, blacksmith
Lewis Regnld. Butcher
Lion Inn (Arth. Chas. James)
° Moore Rt. Hy, farmer, Grange farm. Great Bolas 15
Morgan Wm. Edward, butcher. Great Bolas 39
Prentice James M.B., Ch.B.Glas. physcn. & surgn. (attends tues. & fri. 11.30 a.m.)
Quinn Norman Chas, carpntr. Great Bolas 33
Swan Inn (Jsph. Madeley). Great Bolas 21
Tapley Fred, farmer, The Terrill
Wedd & Pooler, physcns. & surgns. (attend tues. & fri. 11.30 a.m.) Great Bolas 34
From page 274 of the directory. Transcribed from my own copy, published together with the Herefordshire directory.