< More Directories etc.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1934
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, one mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Wrekin division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, rebuilt in 1865, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria; there are five stained windows and a porch, built in 1909 as a memorial to the Rev. John B. Davies M.A. rector (1866-1906); in 1915 a stained window was inserted to the Rev. John Thomas Halke LL.B. curate in charge (1859 to 1867); there are two brass tablets, one of which records the names of those who served during the Great War, 1914-18; there are 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £325, with residence, in the gift of E. R. Davies esq. and held since 1930 by the Rev. Albert Edmund Lane Sansam B.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Rawton. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of Ernest James Fisk esq. The principal landowners are E. J. Fisk esq. A. Lea Juckes esq. R. E. Moore esq. and the trustees of the late Mr. E. R. Davies. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; population in 1931, 161.
Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office (available for calls to places within a limited distance). Letters through Wellington, Shropshire
The Midland Omnibus Co. Ltd. runs omnibuses through here to & from Wellington & Market Drayton
Fisk Ernest Jas. Waters, Upton hall [= Fisk Ernest Jas, Waters Upton hall]
Juckes Arthur Lea
Sansam Rev. Albert Edmund Lane B.A. (rector), Rectory
Meakin Mrs. M. E, The White house
Early closing day, Wednesday.
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Beech Thos. shopkpr
Bennett Saml. jun. carrier
Bennett Alice (Mrs.), boot & shoe mkr
Bromley Edward, bricklayer
Brookes Jn. farmer, The Beeches
Fletcher Thos. farmer, The Harebutt
Griffiths Thos. farmer, Greenhurst
Hawthorn & Prentice, physicians & surgeons (call tues. & fri. at 11.30 a.m)
Heal Edwin Crawford, farmer, The Harebutt
Hollies & Wedd, physicians & surgeons (call tues. & fri. at 11.30 a.m)
James Chas. Lion P.H.
° Juckes Arth. Lea, farmer. T N Bolas 17
Leech John, blacksmith
Madeley Joseph, Swan inn
° Moore Rt. Edward, farmer, Grange farm. T N Great Bolas 15
Morgan William Edward, butcher
Philips Geo. farmer, Lower hall
Quinn Norman Charles, painter
Powell A. (Mrs.), farmer
Tapley Fred, farmer, The Terrill
William Walter, shopkpr
From page 297 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at Ancestry – UK, City and County Directories, 1766 – 1946.