< More Directories etc.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1926
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, one mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Wrekin division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, rebuilt in 1865 under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria; there are five stained windows, and a porch, built in 1909 as a memorial to the Rev. John B. Davies M.A. rector (1866-1906); in 1915 a stained window was inserted to the Rev. John Thomas Halke LL.B. curate in charge (1859 to 1867); there are two brass tablets, one of which records the names of those who served during the Great War, 1914-18; there are 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £325, with residence, in the gift of the trustees, and held since 1920 by the Rev. William Astbury Meakin. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of E. J. Fisk esq. The principal landowners are E. J. Fisk esq. A. Lea Juckes esq. and Mrs. J. B. Davies. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,711; population in 1921, 191.
Sexton, Arthur Austin.
Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office (available for calls to places within a limited distance).—Thomas Beech, sub-postmaster. Letters through Wellington, Shropshire
The children of this place attend the school at Crudgington, half a mile distant
The Midland Omnibus Co. Ltd. run omnibuses through here at stated times to & from Wellington & Market Drayton
(For T N’s [= telephone numbers] see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Davies Mrs. J. B. The White house
Eardley William H. Crescent house
Fisk Ernest Jas. Waters, Upton hall [= Waters Upton hall]
Juckes Arthur Lea
Meakin Rev. William Astbury (rector), Rectory
Early closing day, Wednesday.
Ball Arthur, rate collector & assistant overseer
Beech Thomas, shopkeeper & sub-postmaster
Bennett Samuel, jun. motor engineer
Bennett Saml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Bromley Edward, bricklayer
Brookes John, farmer
Goodwin George H. farmer, Grange farm. T N Great Bolas 15
Hawthorn & Prentice, physicians & surgeons (call tues. & fri. at 11.30 a.m)
Heal Edwin Crawford, farmer, The Harebutt
Hollies & Wedd, physicians & surgeons (call tues. & fri. at 11.30 a.m)
James Ann (Mrs.), butcher
James Jane (Mrs.), dress maker
Juckes Arthur Lea, farmer
Leech John, blacksmith
Madeley Joseph, Swan inn
Morgan John S. butcher, The Harebutt
Morgan William Edward, butcher
Motteram Albert, farm bailiff to E. J. Fisk esq
Parry Edith (Mrs.), grocer
Quinn Norman Charles, painter
Ralphs Henry Robert, The Lion P.H
Powell Charles William, farmer
Powell Herbert John, farmer
Woolley Wm. farmer, The Terrill
From page 292 of the directory. Transcribed from my own copy.