< More Directories etc.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1891
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, 5 miles north from Wellington and three quarters of a mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge, £114, net yearly value £270, including 35 acres of glebe, with residence (restored in 1868), in the gift of and held since 1866 by the Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall. The Hall is now the residence of Mrs. Taylor. The Duke of Sutherland K.G. is lord of the manor; principal landowners are Mrs. Taylor, Miss Groucock, Mrs. Rider, of Wellington, the Rev. J. B. Davies M.A. rector, and Thomas Griffiths esq. Huyton, Lancashire. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 701 acres; rateable value, £1,503; the population in 1881 was 195.
Sexton, Joseph Jones.
Post Office.—William Tudor, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is High Ercall & telegraph office at Crudgington railway station. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
Parish School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 50 children; average attendance, 43; Miss Elizabeth Porter, mistress
Davies Rev. John Bayley M.A. [rector]
Percival Herbert France
Shakeshaft John, The Beeches
Taylor Mrs. The Hall
Yonge Rev. Lyttleton Vernon B.A. [vicar of Rowton]
Allen Richard, farmer
Atcherley William, Swan inn
Ball William A. R. school attendance officer & assistant overseer
Bennett Sml. Thos. boot & shoe maker
Fletcher Robert, shopkeeper
James Alfred, butcher
Lloyd William, farmer, The Terrill
Morgan Robert, butcher
Owen William John, farmer
Rawlings John, farm bailiff to Herbert France Percival esq
Ridgway Alfred, Wheelwright
Ridgway John, blacksmith
Shepherd Hugh, farmer
Shakeshaft John, farmer & general merchant
Tudor Samuel, shopkeeper
Tudor Thomas, bricklayer
Vaughan John, registrar of births & deaths for Ercall Magna sub-district & relieving & school attendance officer for Ercall Magna district of Wellington union
WALKER SARAH ANN (MISS),boarding & day school
Wylde John, beer retailer
From page 455 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at the University of Leicester Special Collections website.