Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1917
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, one mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, rebuilt in 1865 under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria; there are five stained windows, and a porch, built in 1909, as a memorial to the Rev. John B. Davies M.A. rector (1866-1906); in 1915 a stained window was inserted to the Rev. John Thomas Halke LL.B. curate in charge (1859 to 1867); there are 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £290, including 2½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Samuel Hobson M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of Ernest James Fisk esq. The principal landowners are E. J. Fisk esq. A. Lea Juckes esq. Mrs. J. B. Davies and the rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,527; population in 1911, 185.
Sexton, Edward John Austin.
Post & M. O. Office.—Mrs. Edith S. Picken, sub-postmistress. Letters from Wellington; no Sunday post. High Ercall, 4 miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office.
The children of this place attend the school at Crudgington, half a mile distant
Davies Mrs. J. B. The White house
Fisk Ernest Jas. Waters Upton hall
Hobson Rev. Samuel M.A. (rector), Rectory
Juckes Arthur Lea
Rider Ernest Dicken
Early closing day, Thursday.
Ball Arthur, rate collector & deputy registrar of births & deaths for Ercall Magna district of Wellington district
Ball Mary (Mrs.), registrar of births & deaths for Ercall Magna district of Wellington district
Bennett Saml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Dicken Mabel (Miss), cowkeeper
James Ann (Mrs.), butcher
Morgan John S. butcher, The Harebutt
Morgan Robert, farmer, The Harebutt
Owen Elizabeth (Mrs. ), Swan inn
Picken Edith S. (Mrs.), shopkeeper, post office
Powell Herbert John, farmer
Price William Henry, beer retailer
Ridgway Alfred, carpenter
Ridgway Charles John, blacksmith
Woolley Wm. farmer, The Terrill
From pages 263-4 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at Ancestry – Herefordshire and Shropshire Directories, 1917.