< More Directories etc.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1909
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, one mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, at a cost of £57; there are four stained windows, and a porch is now (1909) in the course of erection as a memorial to the Rev. John B. Davies M.A. late rector (1866-1906); the church affords 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £265, including 11 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Samuel Hobson M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of Ernest James Fisk esq. The Duke of Sutherland K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. L. V. Yonge, E. J. Fisk esq. A. Lea Juckes esq. Mrs. J. B. Davies and the rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 701 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,473; the population in 1901 was 194.
Sexton, Edward John Austin.
Post & M. O. Office.—Edward L. Parry, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m. & 2.30 p.m.; dispatched at 5.50 p.m. & 3.20 p.m.; no Sunday delivery. High Ercall, 4 miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office
Public Elementary School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 50 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Frances Shute, mistress
Davies Mrs. J. B. The White house
Fisk Ernest James, The Hall
Hobson Rev. Samuel M.A. (rector), Rectory
Juckes Arthur Lea
Yonge Rev. Lyttelton Vernon B.A. (vicar of Rowton)
Ball Arthur, rate collector
Ball William A. R. relieving & school attendance officer & registrar of births & deaths for Ercall Magna district of Wellington union
Bennett Sml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Crewe Elizh. W. (Miss), private schl
Dicken Mabel & Edith (Misses), cowkeepers
James Ann (Mrs.), butcher
Jervis William, farmer
Morgan John S. butcher
Morgan Robert, farmer
Owen Elizabeth (Mrs. ), Swan inn
Palmer William, farmer
Parry Edwd.Lewis, grocer, & Post off
Price William Henry, beer retailer
Ridgway Alfred, wheelwright
Ridgway Charles John, blacksmith
Tompkin Robert, farm bailiff to Rev. L. V. Yonge B.A
Walker Sarah Ann (Miss), boarding & day school
Woolley Wm. farmer, The Terrill
From page 271 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed at Ancestry – UK, City and County Directories, 1766 – 1946.