< More Directories etc.
Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire (1871)
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, 5 miles north from Wellington and Admaston station, and 7½ from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the River Tern, and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton. The church of St. Michael was entirely rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, and is a very handsome and substantial building of red sandstone. The living is a rectory, yearly value £330, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. John Bailey Davies, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Groucock, J. Rider, Esq., of Wellington, and the Rev. J. B. Davies. There are charities, £10 yearly value. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The area is 730 acres, and the population in 1861 was 206; gross estimated rental, £1,692; rateable value, £1,535.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Weaver.
Post Office.—Samuel Tudor, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Wellington.
Davies Rev. John Bayley, M.A.
Groucock Mrs. Elizabeth
Morgan John, esq., surgeon
Bennett Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Blantern Robert, farmer and land owner Hare Butts
Bruckshaw James, thrashing machine owner
Fowles John, farm bailiff to John Ryder, esq.
James John, farmer, &c.
Martin Mary, Swan Inn
Morgan William, farmer, Lower house
Owen William John, beer retailer
Ridgway James, blacksmith
Taylor Albert, carpenter
Titley Thomas, butcher and farmer
Tudor Samuel, bricklayer
From pages 365-6 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at the University of Leicester Special Collections website.