< Kelly’s Directory 1891 | ^ Directories etc Index | Kelly’s Directory 1900 >
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1895
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, 5 miles north from Wellington and three quarters of a mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge, £104, net yearly value £255, including 17 acres of glebe, with residence (restored in 1868), in the gift of and held since 1866 by the Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall. The Hall is now the residence of Mrs. Taylor. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor; the principal landowners are Mrs. Taylor, Miss Groucock, Mrs. Rider, of Wellington, Thomas Griffiths esq. Huyton, Lancashire, and the rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 702 acres; rateable value, £1,370; the population in 1891 was 219.
Sexton, Joseph Jones.
Post Office.—William Tudor, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order offices are at High Ercall & Peplow & telegraph office at Crudgington railway station.
Parish School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 50 children; average attendance, 43; Miss Sarah Ann Taplin, mistress
Davies Rev. Jn. Bayley M.A. (rector)
Percival Herbert France
Shakeshaft John, The Beeches
Taylor Mrs. The Hall
Yonge Rev. Lyttleton Vernon B.A. (vicar of Rowton)
Ball William A. R. relieving & school attendance officer for Ercall Magna district of Wellington union
Allen Richard, farmer
Bennett Sml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Clorley George, farmer
Dickin Samuel, farmer
James Alfred, butcher
Lloyd William, farmer, The Terrill
Morgan Robert, butcher
Owen William John, farmer & Swan inn; Cyclists’ Touring Club quarters
Rawlings John, farm bailiff to Herbt. France Percival esq
Ridgway Alfred, Wheelwright
Ridgway John, blacksmith
Shakeshaft John, farmer, coal, corn, cake & general merchant. See advt
Shepherd Hugh, farmer
Tudor Samuel, grocer & provision dealer & farmer
Tudor Thomas, bricklayer
Tudor William, postmaster, carpenter & wheelwright
Walker Sarah Ann (Miss), boarding & day school. Established 1850. One mile from Crudgington railway station
Wylde John, beer retailer
From page 243 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online Ancestry – UK, City and County Directories, 1766 – 1946. Copy also available at the University of Leicester Special Collections website.