Samuel Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Shropshire, 1851
UPTON WATERS, OR PARVA, is a small parish, township, and pleasantly situated village, five and a half miles N. from Wellington, in the Wellington division of the South Bradford hundred. The parish contains 732A. 3R. 35P. of land, and in 1801 had 169 inhabitants, 1831, 193, and in 1841, 43 houses and 228 souls. Gross estimated rental, £1,346. 18s.; rateable value, £1,256. 0s. 11d. The principal landowners are Thomas Whitfield, Esq., Miss Ann Dickin, Mrs. Elizabeth Groucock, Mrs. Rider, Mr. William Boycott, and Mr. John Williams, besides whom there are several small freeholders. The village is pleasantly situated on elevated ground, and commands an extensive view of the surrounding country; on the western verge of the parish is the river Tern, which separates Upton Waters from the parish of Ercall.
THE CHURCH is a small unpresuming structure, dedicated to Saint Michael, consisting of nave and chancel, with a small belfry at the west end; the interior of the fabric corresponds with its architectural simplicity. A brass plate in the aisle remembers the Reverend William Jones, formerly rector of this parish for 62 years, and died in the year 1691, aged 82 years. The living is a rectory valued in the king’s book at £3. 17s. 3½d., now returned at £204, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Corfield, a non-resident; curate, Rev. Sidney Philip Robertson, B.A. The rectory is a good residence a little west from the church. THE HALL, the residence and property of Miss Ann Dickin, is a neat brick house a little north-west from the church. About a quarter of a mile north-west from the church is a large brick structure, originally built as a workhouse for Ercall Magna parish. It is now used for the reception of the children belonging the Wellington Poor-law Union, and will accommodate about one hundred; the average number is about fifty. The building stands on the banks of the river Tern, and is just within the bounds of the parish of Ercall, the river here dividing the two parishes.
Bennett Thomas, shoemaker
Davies John, schoolmaster, Union House
Dickin Miss Ann, the Hall
Edwards Rd., wheelwright
Gregory James, tailor
Groucock Elizabeth, farmer
Icke William, maltster and vict., the Swan
Leighton Robert, farmer
Matthews William, farmer
Morgan John, surgeon
Ridgway James, blacksmith
Roberson Rev. Sidney Philip, curate, the Rectory
Titley John, butcher
Tudor Samuel, bricklayer and shopkeeper
Whitfield Thomas, farmer
From page 421 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at the University of Leicester Special Collections website.