1885 Kelly’s directory

< Slater’s Directory 1880 | ^ Directories etc Index | Kelly’s Directory 1891 >

Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire, 1885

WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, 5 miles north from Wellington, and three quarters of a mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1547. The living is a rectory tithe rent charge, £141; net yearly value £330, including 35 acres of glebe, with residence (restored in 1868), in the gift of and held since 1866 by the Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, councillor of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall. The Duke of Sutherland K.G. is lord of the manor; principal landowners are Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Groucock, J. Rider esq. of Wellington and the Rev. J. B. Davies M.A. rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 755 acres; rateable value, £1,662; the population in 1881 was 195.

Sexton, Joseph Jones.

Post Office.—Samuel Tudor, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.0 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is Wellington. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

Parish School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 50 children; average attendance, 45; Miss Minnie Amos, mistress

Brown William
Davies Rev. John Bayley M.A. [rector]
Groucock Thomas
Higgins Mrs
Higginson Mrs
Rider Misses
Taylor Mrs. The Hall

Bennett Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Foulkes William, Swan inn
James Alfred, butcher
Lloyd William, farmer, The Terrill
Morgan Robert, butcher
Owen William John, beer retailer & farmer
Rawlings John, farm bailiff to John Rider esq
Ridgway Alfred, Wheelwright
Ridgway James, blacksmith
Shakeshaft John, farmer
Titley Thomas (Mrs.), farmer
Tudor Samuel, shopkeeper
Tudor Thomas, bricklayer
Vaughan John, registrar of births & deaths for Ercall Magna sub-district & relieving & school attendance officer for Ercall Magna district of Wellington union
Walker Elizabeth (Mrs.), school
Woolley Richard, butcher

From page 972 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed at FamilySearch.