Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1905
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, three quarters of a mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, at a cost of £57; the church affords 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £275, including 17 acres of glebe, with residence (restored in 1868), in the gift of and held since 1866 by the Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of Ernest John [= James] Fisk esq. The Duke of Sutherland K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. L. V. Yonge, Mrs. Rider, of Wellington, E. J. Fisk esq. and the rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,300; the population in 1901 was 194.
Sexton, Joseph Jones.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & A. & I. Office.—Edward L. Parry, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.50 p.m.; no sunday delivery. The nearest telegraph office is at High Ercall station, 3½ miles distant.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 75 children; average attendance, 43; Miss Frances Shute, mistress
Davies Rev. Jn. Bayley M.A. (rector) Rectory
Fisk Ernest John [= James], The Hall
Shakeshaft John, The Beeches
Yonge Rev. Lyttelton Vernon B.A. (vicar of Rowton)
Allen Richard, farmer
Ball Arthur, rate collector
Ball William A. R. relieving & school attendance officer & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Ercall Magna district of Wellington union
Bennett Sml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Jervis William, farmer
James Alfred, butcher
Morgan Robert, butcher
Needham Bernard, farmer
Owen Elizabeth (Mrs.), Swan inn
Parry Edward Lewis, grocer & provision dealer, & post office
Price William Henry, beer retailer
Ridgway Alfred, wheelwright
Ridgway John, blacksmith
Tompkyn Richard, farm bailiff to Ernest John [= James] Fisk esq
Walker Sarah Ann (Miss), boarding & day school
Woolley Wm. farmer, The Terrill
From page 267 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at Findmypast – Britain, directories & almanacs (PDF image 575).