< Slater’s Directory 1868 | ^ Directories etc Index | Cassey’s Directory 1871 >
Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, and the City of Bristol, 1870
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, 5 miles north from Wellington and Admaston station, and 7½ from Newport, in the Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington union and county court district, North Shropshire, rural deanery of Edgmond near Newport, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton. The church of St. Michael was entirely rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, and is a very handsome and substantial building of red sandstone, consisting of a nave, aisle, beautiful chancel with a fine reredos, and turret with 2 bells; G. E. Street, esq., of London, was the architect. The living is a rectory, yearly value £330, with residence (restored in 1868) in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. John Bayley Davies, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Groucock, J. Rider, esq., of Wellington, and the Rev. J. B. Davies. There are charities, £10 yearly value. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The area is 730 acres, and the population in 1861 was 206; gross estimated rental, £1,692; rateable value, £1,535.
Davies Rev. John Bayley, M.A.[rector]
Morgan John, esq
Bennett Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Fowles John, farm bailiff to John Rider esq.
James John, maltster & farmer
Martin Mary (Mrs.), Swan inn
Morgan John, surgeon
Morgan William, farmer
Owen Ellen (Mrs.), beer retailer
Ridgway James, blacksmith
Taylor Albert, carpenter
Titley Thomas, butcher
Tudor Samuel, bricklayer
From page 155 of the Shropshire section of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at the Society of Genealogists.