1900 Kelly’s directory

< Kelly’s Directory 1895 | ^ Directories etc Index | Kelly’s Directory 1905 >

Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1900

WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, three quarters of a mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 miles north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1865, at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of Her Majesty’s Jubilee at a cost of £57. The church affords 155 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £244, including 17 acres of glebe, with residence (restored in 1868), in the gift of and held since 1866 by the Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall. The Hall is now the residence of Mrs. Taylor. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor; the principal landowners are Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. L. V. Yonge, Mrs. Rider, of Wellington, and the rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,260; the population in 1891 was 219.

Sexton, Joseph Jones.

Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.—Samuel Tudor, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest telegraph office at Crudgington railway station, 1 mile distant.

Parish School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 50 children; average attendance, 43; Miss Louisa Hill, mistress

Allen Mrs
Davies Rev. Jn. Bayley M.A. (rector), Rectory
Dickin Samuel
Jervis William
Shakeshaft John, The Beeches
Taylor Mrs. The Hall
Walker Miss
Yonge Rev. Lyttleton Vernon B.A. (vicar of Rowton)

Allen Richard, farmer
Ball William A. R. relieving & school attendance officer for Ercall Magna district of Wellington union
Bennett Sml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Jervis William, farmer
Dickin Samuel, farmer
James Alfred, butcher
Jervis William, farmer [duplicate entry]
Jones Henry, farmer
Morgan Robert, butcher
Needham Bernard, farmer
Owen William John, Swan inn; Cyclists’ Touring Club quarters
Ridgway Alfred, Wheelwright
Ridgway John, blacksmith
Shakeshaft John, commission agent
Tudor Samuel, grocer & provision dealer, & Post office
Walker Sarah Ann (Miss), boarding & day school
Woolley Wm. farmer, The Terrill
Wylde Lucy (Mrs.), beer retailer

From page 258 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed at the Society of Genealogists (SoG Data Online).